Art Brut Set To Release ‘Top Of The Pops’ Best Of Compilation Out April 16th On The End Records
Exuberant British quintet Art Brut have announced their latest release Top Of The Pops, a best of compilation celebrating their 10 year anniversary as a band, out April 16th on The End Records. The double album sees the appearance of their singles in chronological order of their release throughout the years. Including cult classics such as Emily Kane, Direct Hit and Axl Rose, the release also sees B-Sides, covers and two brand new tracks entitled Arizona Bay and We Make Pop MusicNamed after the French painter Jean Debuffet’s definition of outsider art - the band’s simple, clever art-punk over the years has seen them on the cover of Rolling Stone in Germany, pose naked on the NME and work with both Russell Sr. of Pulp and the legendary Frank Black of The Pixies who produced the last two of their previous releases. Now the band can officially be considered, according to singer Eddie Argos, a CLASSIC ROCK BAND.
Tracklisting for Top Of The Pops:
1. Formed A Band
2. My Little Brother
3. Emily Kane
4. Modern Art
5. Good Weekend
6. Direct Hit
7. Nag Nag Nag Nag
8. St. Pauli
9. Pump Up The Volum
10. DC Comics And Chocolate Milkshake
11. Alcoholics Unanimous
12. Summer Job
13. Demons Out!
14. Axl Rose
15. Sexy Sometimes
16. Lost Weekend
18. Arizona Bay (new track)
19. We Make Pop Music (new track)
1. Formed A Band (Early Keith Top Of The Pops Version)
2. Bad Weekend (Early Keith Top Of The Pops Version)
3. These Animal Menswear (B-Side)
4. Modern Art (Early Keith Top Of The Pop Version)
5. Maternity Ward (B-Side)
6. Blame It On The Trains (Produced by Russel Senior)
7. Post Soothing Out (Produced by Russel Senior)
8. St. Pauli (Produced by Russel Senior)
9. About Time (B Side)
10. Ignorance Is Bliss (B Side)
11. Catch (The Cure Cover)
12. Modern Art (recorded for Berlin Live)
13. Just Desserts (alt version of B-Side to Alcoholics Unanimous)
14. Moved To L.A. (Art Brut vs Satan iTunes bundle)
15. Weird Science (B-Side)
16. Positively 5th Street (B-side)
17. Unprofessional Wrestling (Download only)
18. The Great Escape (We Are Scientists/Lynyrd Skynyrd cover)
19. Her Majesty (Beatles cover arr. by Black Francis)
20. Post Soothing Out (recorded for Berlin Live)
Art Brut have been called many things over the course of our career, not all of them polite. The thing we get called most often is an ‘art band’, which I accept is totally our fault for putting the word Art in our name. However, Art Brut have never seen ourselves as an artband, we have been adamant since we began that we are, in fact, a classic rock band.
Unfortunately, it is impossible to begin your career as a classic rock band, no matter how often you persist in referring to yourself as one.
Over the last ten years, however, Art Brut have been tirelessly working towards the moment we could finally call ourselves a classic rock band and know in our heart of hearts that it was true. Our mission is finally complete.
I submit the following evidence towards the case of us being a CLASSIC ROCK BAND
- We have been on the front cover of German Rolling Stone.
- Toured the world extensively.
- Appeared on American chat shows.
- Posed naked in the NME.
- Had our lyrics be the subject of lectures at a Berlin university.
- Released four albums over the period of ten years (the last two produced by the legendary Black Francis from the Pixies).
- And finally we are held in universal regard by both our peers and the general public.
(Actually, with that last one I’ve never checked with our peers and have very little to do with the general public but am fairly certain that is the case).
So, to celebrate our new status as a CLASSIC ROCK BAND we have decided to release a Best Of Compilation.
It is called ‘Art Brut; Top Of The Pops’ and is a double album (or if you are downloading it, a lot of songs).
CD1 contains the best and most popular songs from our career in chronological order. So you can see clearly that we have followed the CLASSIC ROCK blueprint exactly -
Album One, Excited,
Album Two, Confused,
Album Three, Angry
Album Four, Experimental
Plus, TWO BRAND NEW TRACKS. They’re about enjoying natural disasters and making pop music. Optimistic rebirth .
This is textbook CLASSIC ROCK BAND stuff.
CD2 contains rare songs that Freddy Feedback rescued from our vaults including live songs, covers we finally got round to asking for permission to release, hard to acquire b-sides and unreleased demos from our recording sessions for ‘Its A Bit Complicated’ that took place with Pulp’s Russel Senior (who is not mad, I promise).